Sinsinawa Mound is rich in the beauty of nature and in heritage. Sinsinawa Mound is where the Sinsinawa Dominican mission of preaching and teaching the Gospel begins.
What started in 1847 as four Sisters and their founder, a pioneer priest, Venerable Samuel Mazzuchelli, in the southwest corner of Wisconsin, grew in both members and places of ministry to spread across the nation and reach into other countries in order to preach and teach the Gospel.
Although the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters were not founded until 1847, in 1844 Father Mazzuchelli purchased 800 acres of land, 450 of which are now known as Sinsinawa Mound. In that same year, he built what is known as the Stone Building. Today, this building sits at the center of the Mound complex and houses retired Sisters and Sisters working in congregation offices at the Mound.
As the Sinsinawa Dominican mission grew, so did Sinsinawa Mound. In 1882, St. Clara Academy was added to the Stone Building. By 1900, the Sisters added a four-story convent building. A chaplain’s house, now known as Westknoll, also was built on the grounds.
As more women entered the congregation, the Sinsinawa Dominicans decided to expand once again. In 1963, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for what is now known as the ’64 building, Queen of the Rosary Chapel, and dining room.
By 1966, the Congregation reached its peak, as 1,983 women were vowed members. New uses were found for many of the Mound buildings in the 1970s as the number of entrants declined and St. Clara Academy, an all-girls high school, closed. In 2000, St. Clara Academy was converted into 34 apartments for senior citizens, now known as the Academy Apartments. The ’64 building houses many of the congregation offices and opens its doors to the public for retreats, conferences, and concerts as the Sinsinawa Mound Center.